Classroom training focuses on experiential learning, group discussions, and activities. Presenters and teachers are from various agencies who have expertise in the subject they teach.
Living with Mental Illness: An overview of various mental illnesses, causes of mental illness, history of the mental health system, and concepts of rehabilitation and recovery.
Principles of Recovery and Psychosocial Rehabilitation: An overview of the philosophy, practices, and perspectives of people with mental illness and families. Specifically, the program will introduce and familiarize participants with proven rehabilitation and recovery methods that address co-occuring disorders, family support, work and education support.
- Helping relationship: Introduces participants to the skills and theories necessary for creating effective partnerships between services providers and mental health clients.
- Providing services
- Group work
- Communicating effectively
- Empowering and helping clients integrate (or reintegrate) into the community
- Participants will learn skills necessary to work within the guidelines set by the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health and Medi-Cal including documentation, ethics, boundaries, and scope of practice.
Populations and Program: An overview of special populations including but not limited to:
- People who are homeless
- Individuals with co-occuring physical needs and substance abuse
- Transitional Age Youth (Ages 18 - 25)
- Individuals in the forensic system
- ...and more